Santa Fe Innovates concluded its fifth cohort with an idea pitch on Saturday, November 12, 2022. Nine entrepreneurs pitched ideas they have refined over the course of five weeks to a panel of judges that determined the top idea winners.
The idea pitch approach focused on achieving a problem-solution fit by answering these questions:
- Why now? What problem is triggering this solution?
- What is the solution?
- Who are the customers?
- How do you defend against the competition?
- How do you capture value?
- Why you?
- What’s next for your idea?
The top idea was awarded to the team of Ariane Mahmud-Ghazi and Rehana Archuleta Hadid for this idea:
“The Afghan Women’s Collaborative is a community hub that houses income-generating programs employing Afghan women refugees in a sewing collaborative, a catering business, and a food product line. Leveraging their experience in cooking and sewing, they become familiar navigating Western culture, learning English language skills, training to become skilled in small scale-manufacturing & high-quality Afghan & Middle Eastern food production, managing their own finances and becoming self-sufficient in supporting their families.”
The next top idea was awarded to the team of Kara Smith and Sean O’Shea for this idea:
“Craft Strategy Studio is a strategic planning firm disrupting the stale industry norms that have been in use for nearly a century. Using innovative short + simple planning sessions and an adaptable subscription-based model, we build accountability and flexibility directly into the planning process leading to action-oriented priorities that actually get done. With a focus on nonprofits and government sector clients, Craft Strategy Studio is improving the way strategic planning benefits communities across the country.”
- Top idea – up to $1,500 in either trademark/IP consulting services or branding/marketing consulting services. The top idea will receive an added benefit of a one-year entrepreneur-level membership to NM Angels.
- Next top idea – up to $1,000 in either trademark/IP services or branding/marketing service.
Services are delivered by Santa Fe IP and Creative Santa Fe and must be used by the end of February 2023.
We would like to thank our panel of judges:
- Rich Brown – Director, Community and Economic Development
- Kyle Guin – Founder, Brands Lab inc.
- Francine Sommer – Investor and entrepreneur, Respect Wellness
- Drew Tulchin – President, NM Angels
Grateful for the Santa Fe Economic Development Department!
Thanks to the City of Santa Fe for their support of the early-stage program and the idea pitch!
Grateful for our mentors!
We especially want to thank our mentors whose time and expertise makes our early-stage program possible. Their work with the entrepreneurs has greatly improved the quality of the idea pitches.